ATSC3.0 will reinvent FREE TV
ATSC 3.0 is the next generation of over-the-air TV. ATSC 3.0 is a new IP-based OTA TV broadcast standard that combines broadcasting and broadband internet. Audio and video content will be broadcast OTA, and other content will be sent over your internet connection and integrated into the program.
Not expected to come to early-adopters in the US until 2019.
Currently being tested in a few markets.
- Ultra High Def – 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- Better Reception – Greater distances and deeper into buildings.
- Mobility – WiFi-enabled devices like tablets, smartphones, set-top-boxes, and Smart TVs.
- Better Audio – Dolby AC-4
- Advanced Emergency Alerts
- In-Car TV
ATSC 3.0 is not backward compatible with current tuners.
Not to worry, current ATSC 1.0 tuners will be supported for many years.